Sunday, November 30, 2008

Pathways, Edges and Boundaries

For this project I was part of the Oasis group. After putting together a lengthy presentation about parking lot behavior and downsizing a 24 hour video to one hour and nineteen minutes, we finally got down and dirty with concrete. We came up with some ideas (many were rather literal, surprisingly). 
We originally desired to put furniture on our "island", however, after the class critique we all decided that furniture was out of the picture. We had also thought about putting a bird bath, but the class also ruled out water. After cutting out a bunch of inspiration pictures, as well as making some drawings and creating a 3D model, we decided to get going with out idea. 
The fourth picture is an example of one of the first pieces I casted. I cast concrete in a cardboard box, unaware that it had a dip in the bottom. When I took it out, It looked like that. It was a mistake, but I kind of liked it because it made me think of other possible textures, and it somewhat corresponded with the parking lot behind the oasis (the sidewalk between cars). 
Our group had decided to create a pathway mixing circles and squares, so we collected shoeboxes and carpet rolls and cut them to size. We got right to work with casting. We tried sawdust and woodshavings as aggregates, but eventually we ended up resulting to pearlite. 
After casting in many different shapes and sizes, we ran into a rather large speed bump. Yes, we had been  casting like crazy, but we got too far away from our original idea. We then had to regroup and come up with a new arrangement for these shapes. We got rid of the columns altogether and decided to create an edge rather than a pathway, though I suppose you could say that our idea creates an implied pathway. we decided to replace the continuation of the columns with the continuation of the edge. 
Though we had come up with a new idea, our exhibit model had already been made, so we will note in our presentation that modifications have already been made. That's design, right? As a part of the model group, I created our pathway and cut out several circles and squares to scale. After all our models we're finished, the exhibit group got together and took some time to plan out a strategic exhibit. We painted the panels, and then moved the three of them around several times to see where they looked good. Originally, we wanted to set them up so that they directed people walking into the building towards iarc. However, that setup did not favor a friendly presentation. Instead, we decided to create something like a box, and got rid of one panel. We hung all the drawings on the panels, as well as process pictures and throw-up sheets. On the main wall we have site plans, as well as the "table" (if you will) for the model. We also included seating for those favored guests.

Monday, November 24, 2008

Perspective Final Drawings

These four perspective drawings are based off of four pictures that I found in magazines. The first picture is a 2 point perspective of a living room/library. The second is a one point perspective of the outside of a house in a reflection. The third is a 3 point perspective of the famous empire state building in NYC. The fourth is of an abstract church. In the fourth drawing, I intended to provide a light source and show the shadows made by it.

Saturday, November 22, 2008

two point perspective

This is a two point perspective of my living room.

One Point Perspective of my room at home

This is a one point perspective sketch of my bedroom at home. 

Orthographic Projection (DRAFTING)

October 28, 2008- For this assignment, we were asked to look at the orthographic drawing and draw the sides accordingly. For the front, top and right side, some was already drawn out for us, and we were asked to add or "correct" them to match the orthographic projection. We were then asked to come up with a left side as well. If you look closely, you will notice that some things are drawn in pink colored pencil. The areas in colored pencil are the areas that I corrected. 

When I tried to scan these and align them in photoshop, it would not work. So, instead, I took individual pictures of each drawing and put them on here.

The Vanna Venturi House (DRAFTING)

October 30, 2008

Woodland Chapel (DRAFTING)

November 6, 2008
Scale- 1/4":1'

Exercise 6.4 (DRAFTING)

October 30, 2008

Building Elevation- p. 152 (DRAFTING)

November 4th, 2008
Scale- 1/4":1'

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Dialog: Elevations

These are 2 elevations of my final dialog project

Dialog: Plan

This is a plan view of my final Dialog project.

Dialog: Final Graphic

This is my graphic for my final dialog project. The words in the middle are all of the Gestalt principles that were incorporated into my model. I decided to use the batman symbol for my precedent, as I showed earlier in this sequence. My objective for this model: To divide a unified space into two unified spaces using only skewers. The model at the top is an example of how I connected my cards together.