Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Mossman Building: Three Refined Moments


This first moment is intended to show the outside of the building if you're looking from across the street. I thought that the use of marker in my inspiration was really effective in showing shadow and depth, and therefore decided to mock that in my drawing. Originally, I had colored everything outside of the building too (the road, the car, the trees, the sky, etc). However, after receiving feedback, I decided that this was too distracting. Editing this photo, I focused on only the building, and incorporated silhouettes rather than detailed figures to show scale (the car, the bushes, the person).
This second moment was intended to bring focus to the round desk in the middle of the first floor. In my inspiration, the artist used lines in colored pencil to show form and direction. I though this use of a different media was incredibly interesting. Originally, I had used lines, but in some spots it was unclear what was a room versus a window, and there was no scale figure. I added even more lines to places that were just solid color, and I continued floor lines to show where the floor was directed. I made it so that all the lines led to the center, making the main focus the desk.


This last moment is of a walkway to the Spring Garden entrance into the Mossman building. I decided to take hatching as an inspiration, but also add my own twist: along with hatching, I incorporated single diagonal lines to show change in depth. My moment is excessively hatched like that of my inspiration. Originally it was hatched, but the sky was white, causing the sky to look like it was another piece of the building. Therefore I decided to color it with marker and diagonal lines. However, I felt that these lines were a little distracting, so I went over the outline of the building with a thicker pen to distinguish the ground and sky from the actual building. I also added more hatching to emphasize contrast even more, since that was a thing that the entire class seemed to struggle with.

I think this exercise was really efficient in expanding our horizons a bit. I was definitely put out of my comfort zone when asked to find ways other than contour to draw a perspective. However, by using different techniques, I was forced to explore and find other ways to show space. I enjoyed trying to mock the techniques in my inspiration drawings because it helped me realize that I don't have to stick to contour and hatching all the time. It also helped me in finding my own style, which combines hatching and drastic contrast.

No comments: