Monday, October 20, 2008

Dialog Critique

1. How is dialog created?
I think dialog can be created in many different ways. In this project, for me, dialog meant "a conversation between two relative spaces using Gestalt or other "artistic" vocabulary (shape, size, contrast, etc.) For example, you could have one space inside another, two spaces adjacent to eachother, two spaces that are contradicting forms (a circle and a square), two spaces that are two different sizes, etc. Some people created a dialog using a base, or intertwining their two spaces to create one.

2. How is a sense of space/place defined?
 Space" the unlimited or incalculably great three-dimensional realm or expanse in which all material objects are located; extent or room in three dimensions (dictionary.com). 

There are many different ways to create a sense of space. However, I think that in order for a person to be able to interpret where the intended spaces are in this project, they must be somewhat obvious. For example, in my project, I created 2 spaces that drew the eye in order to emphasize my intentions. Once again, gestalt principles have a lot to do with defining a space in terms of concepts such as continuation, or closure, or alignment.

3. How is the idea of system generated?
In order to create a "system" all parts in a whole must relate. Even if all the parts are entirely different, so long as they are connected in the same way as the rest, they create a system. Presenting our unity projects and dialog projects together made alot of sense, because in order to have unity, there must be dialog. I never thought about what dialog is presented in my unity project, until after creating a model for the dialog project. I feel like the word "system", in this sense, goes hand in hand with the word "composition".

4. How does the joinery support the project concept/strategies?
In terms of the project concept (dialog) I think joinery definitely helps to define the particular spaces. In terms of strategies, joinery plays a huge role. Joinery is extremely important because not only does it complement the project, but it also creates a structure. For my project, joinery had to do with both concept and strategy. My skewers played a role in a rectangular shape of my project. However, the skewers were also set up to cut that rectangular form in half, defining two spaces. I also broke the end skewers to mimic the "breaking" (folding) of the paper.

5. How is scale utilized in the project?
Scale must be perfected in this project, because scale is a major factor in defining space. For example, there are small spaces in my project that are triangular, but they are so small compared to the intended spaces, that they seem irrelevant because their scale is off. it's also important for the scale of cards to be in relation to the scale of the skewers.

6. How do two-dimensional images add to the understanding of the project?
Perhaps in drawings it's easier to notice the intended spaces, whereas it could become quite confusing in actual 3D form. Images also portray concept and process, where it's easier to know what the designer was thinking when they designed their project.

7. How did the initial project idea evolve?
There were a lot of different processes in this project. Some people used precedents, and others based their projects on the exact definitions of "space" and "dialog". Lots of people picked out Gestalt principles before starting, while others just fooled around with the materials, and picked their projects apart afterwards. I wanted to relate my dialog project to my unity project since we would be presenting them together, so that was my motivation.

No comments: