Monday, September 8, 2008

Place for a Leaf: Sketch #2

This second leaf had many things that I could play on. The leaf was perfectly flat, and did not curl at all the first week. It was very small, and it almost looked like it had never been touched. It was perfect in every way. It also had a bright yellow color to it. I also noticed that it was symmetric.

The first idea I had was to emphasize size. As you can see in the bottom left corner, I planned to place the leaf inside something extremely large, to contrast scale. I also wanted to use a pattern of the same leaves on the outside to play on the unique qualities of this leaf I had found.

The second idea I had was to contrast size and form, and somehow connect this perfectly flat leaf to a series of raised and differently sized forms. It was supposed to be a "mini-city" which is extremely literal, but I wanted to symbolize the little amount of credit nature is given compared to industry.

The third idea I had was to play on the symmetry and create a structure with folds in it that would hold my symmetrical leaf, but be completely asymmetrical.

No comments: