Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Upside Down Drawing

 AUGUST 28, 2008

In my senior year of high school, we were told to draw this same exact picture. However, we were not timed, nor did we have to draw it upside down. I actually remember folding the paper into 16 pieces and then drawing a grid on my blank piece of paper and drawing it that way.

Looking back now, I will say that this drawing is far better than the one I drew back in '07. This exercise definitely broke me out of the "grid habit", especially since I had limited time. Drawing it upside down also had many advantages. Instead of drawing what I thought the man in the chair should look like, I drew just what I saw, line by line. At the end, when I flipped the picture around and compared it to my drawing, I was content. I doubted a result anywhere near what the man actually looked like.

No comments: