Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Twig Project Critique: September 17th, 2008

I think there are 2 themes that we talked about today that apply to my project. The first is VISUALIZATION. Form and pattern are major aspects of my project. The pattern changes as the alignment of my project moves, and the form directly contributes to the shadows. The slant and the angle are both crucial parts of my project. The higher that the back is from the ground, the further the shadows fall, whereas the closer the back is to the ground, the darker the shadows are. Pattern is also interpreted into my project because of my different elevations, and where I chose to put them, as well as where I chose to place my twigs. Four of them create an implied line. FOCUS is also very important to think about. Strategic thinking is necessary in order for my project to look orderly and clean. I must be careful about each hole I make, careful not to make it too big. How I place my twigs is also crucial in order to avoid a product that looks messy and seems like it lacks thought. Placement and strategy creates my focus: shadows.

Not only was I able to relate my project to the terms we spoke about in the class critique, but I was also able to take some advice that was given to others, and also apply that to my project. When I looked at the craft of other projects, I was given more ideas of how I could clean up my project. I observed how to emphasize negative space, and the scale and proportion of other projects also contributed to mine. I also got a general idea of expectations. I know we've been talking about expectations all semester, but today I wrote down every single thing that I heard. Do your best every time because it offers more oppurtunity for development. Be consistent. Don't be literal. A binding agent is defined however you want, as long as it holds a purpose. In order to receive a legitimate critique, you must bring your full (and visual) idea to the table. My goal is to find ways to apply each of these to my models.

No comments: