Monday, September 8, 2008

Place for a Leaf: Sketch #3

This leaf was my favorite. Though I'm not 100 % sure if it counted as one leaf, it had multiple leaves on it. What struck me most was the mass and the unique shape of it. 

The first idea that I had for it was to connect it in a shape that was simple and geometric, to contrast the complexity of my leaf, to the simpleness of its place.

My second idea was a bird's nest. It was extremely literal, but when we broke up into groups it was what my group chose. When I thought about the mass of my leaf, I tried to think of things I could do to either compare or contrast mass, so that's why I wanted to create a "nest" of other visually-weighted things and create a weighted balance. Before class, I quickly threw together a messy paper nest, with crumpled circular papers inside of it, and stuck my leaf in there.

This was the leaf that I ended up choosing for my project.

1 comment:

corina said...

Nicole - I just love this sketch. Shows such energy, yet stability at its core. You're doing such a great job with all these challenging projects.