Monday, September 8, 2008

Places for a Leaf: Sketch #1

After finding 5 leaves, I picked 3 that were my favorite. This was the first. This leaf was an unordinary brown, but the texture struck me as extraordinary. The front of the leaf was thick as leather, and felt like it too. But when you turned it over, the back of the leaf felt like velvet.

My first idea was to create a place that would reflect the texture. I wanted to contrast, so the place I created was raised with jagged folds, as I was hoping to make them look like pebbles. This sketch is the one in the bottom right corner.

My second idea was to compare textures. I wanted to create a surface that looked like a lilypad on water, because lilypads are also smooth in texture. This idea was quite literal, and the sketch is in the bottom left corner.

My third idea was to create a place from other fall colors, such as red, orange and yellow, to make the brown pop, and give it energy. I was going to make a boxy-looking thing and have the edges cascade and fray as if it was "falling". This was also extremely literal, and the sketch is in the top left corner.

No comments: